Skip to main content
Topic: Tabs active in background windows should not be counted (Read 136 times) previous topic - next topic

Tabs active in background windows should not be counted

After having BATify installed for a while and taking a look at the calculated contributions, I noticed that a few sites that were the active tab in a background window by chance for a long time, but barely looked at by me at all, would receive vastly outsized contributions.
I regard that behavior as a 'bug' in the algorithm used to measure attention, as it takes away funds from sites that have actually received my attention.

Re: Tabs active in background windows should not be counted

Reply #1
Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the BATify forum wowl :)!

Could you please explain a bit more, what you mean by "active tab in a background window"? BATify has got a timeout of 5 minutes for inactivity in a tab. This means, if there happens no scrolling in a tab during a period of 5 minutes, the attention logging for this tab should stop automatically. This happens only for the active tab, the attention logging for inactive tabs (in the sense of not the top tabs) stops immediately when they become inactive because the focus switches to another tab.

Reply #2
Sorry for the long time to answer, I must've missed the reply notification mail and only just thought about this again.
I'm not entirely certain what's going on then.
I saw that I had completely unfitting amounts of time on sites that I have not actively looked at for that long and figured what I mentioned as the likely explanation.
For example I have two news sites with 1 visit and 14 hours each, and I'm rather certain I'm not that slow of a reader. Crucially, this time isn't heavily discounted as well and as a result they make it into the top five, only topped by sites with the same effect in terms of times but which I had genuinely visited more than once.
I will investigate further. Any hints what I might want to look out for?

Reply #3
Thanks for your answer! To better understand what's going on, it would be great, if you could describe a bit more what you mean by "active tab in a background window".

Reply #4
In the meantime, I were able to reproduce the problem :). It will be fixed in the next version which will be available very soon.

Do you want to contribute to the sites with the wrong visit time amount? If not, the easiest would be, to delete these sites via the trashcan button. If you want to contribute to them, please let me know. I'll think then about a solution for this case.